Make Your Office Energy Efficient
Running an office is a big responsibility, as you have to deal with a lot of expenses. Even more if you have serviced offices in Bangalore or serviced offices in Hyderabad, in comparison to smaller cities and towns.
Running an office is a big responsibility, as you have to deal with a lot of expenses. Even more if you have serviced offices in Bangalore or serviced offices in Hyderabad, in comparison to smaller cities and towns. To ensure your balance sheet looks good at the end of the financial year, it’s important you look into every small and large expense of your business, including energy consumption.
The basis of modern progress is efficiency. These are some tips to make your workspace more energy efficient:
- Laptops: Laptops consume about 80% less energy than desktops. Desktops use about 65 to 250 watts, whereas laptops use about 15 to 60 watts of energy. Considering you have a fair number of people working in your office and with each one saving a little energy, as an organization, you can make a big difference. Not to mention, save a lot.
- Lighting: For something that can be produced by rubbing a balloon against your hair, electricity is very expensive. By using energy-saving light bulbs like CFLs and LEDs, you can save a lot of money. They consume around 25% to 80% less energy. Moreover, these bulbs last around 3 to 25 times longer (gov) than incandescent lighting. CFLs and LEDs might cost you more, but are cheaper in the long run.
- Shut down: After office hours, all the lights and machines should be switched off. This seems obvious, but you’d be surprised to know that many offices leave their systems on after the employees leave.
- Sleep Mode: The ‘sleep’ mode is present in almost every machine we use today. It’s an energy-saving mode, which occurs after the machine has been idle for a certain number of minutes. The ‘power save’ mode requires 70 percent less energy. It’s automatically enabled, but you can also set it up manually if you want to change the time settings.
- Timers: Timers can be attached to certain appliances like the water cooler or coffee machine, where energy is used to keep the liquids at a high temperature. The timers will automatically turn off these appliances at the end of the day and turn them on the next morning.
- Air-conditioners: Air-conditioners contribute majorly to the expenses of an organization. They must be used wisely and only when required. For instance, summers are when you must make the most of these appliances. During other seasons, use as and when required.
- Solar power: Solar panels are expensive, but if they work for your office, they are worth investing in. The costs will be recovered in a few years. Solar power is a clean, renewable source of energy, and helps improve the energy efficiency of your office.
Constant usage of energy adds unnecessary cost to the business. Reducing these bills will not only save your business some money, but will also ensure you do your bit for the environment.